Connect with us

News

Twitter reacts to FG’s plan to lift suspension

Published

on

Twitter reacts to FG’s plan to lift suspension

Twitter has said that it looks forward to Nigeria lifting the suspension on its services after an advanced negotiation.

This online platform had reported that Federal Government banned Twitter on June 5 after the microblogging site deleted a remark from the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)’s account.

Over two months after, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, the social networking site would soon be allowed to operate in Nigeria soon.

READ  ASSAULT: CHANNELS TV REPORTER AND WIFE MAKE PEACE AS ORTOM INTERVENES

“The ban on Twitter will soon be lifted as we are getting close to reaching full agreement. We have agreed on some areas, hopefully in the next few days or weeks we will conclude,” the minister said.

Reacting, US-based Twitter confirmed it recently met with the Nigerian government to discuss the ban and how to resolve the matter.

READ  COVID-19: President Buhari may consider reopening schools, churches as PTF submits report

“Our aim is to chart a path forward to the restoration of Twitter for everyone in Nigeria,” it said in a statement obtained via AFP.

“We look forward to ongoing discussions with the Nigerian government and seeing the service restored very soon.”

Twitter played a key role for activists in Nigeria, with the hashtags #BringBackOurGirls after Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 schoolgirls in 2014, and #EndSARS during anti-police brutality protests last year.

READ  EFCC Nabs Two For Alleged N768.5m Fraud

Nigeria had said the ban would end when Twitter submitted to local licensing, registration and conditions for working in the country.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *