Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the presidential flag-bearer of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2023 election, has said he deleted the tweet condemning the murder of Deborah Samuel by religious extremists in a school in Sokoto State, for alleged blasphemy in May because it didn’t get the necessary approval from him before it was sent out.
This online platform reports that Atiku had earlier reacted to the killing of Deborah.
The post was soon taken down, generating a lot of social media backlash.
The former vice-president said he is not in support of the killing, but the social media post did not follow due process.
“I condemned it (murder). There is nowhere it is said or there is an injunction in the Islamic faith that you can go and take someone’s life.
“It has to be through due process,” Atiku said while speaking at Channels TV’s town hall meeting on Sunday.